The Georgia Child Fatality Review Panel was created to prevent child fatalities that are preventable through the establishment of an effective review and standardized data collection system designed to:
- Improve response to child fatalities
- Improve understanding of how and why children die
- Influence legislation, policies and programs that effect the health, safety and protection of children
The Panel is comprised of 18 members.
- Judge Peggy Walker, Douglas County Juvenile Court
- E.K. May Jr., Washington County Coroner
- Barbara Lynn Howell, Criminal Justice Coordinating Council
- Dr. Mary Burns, Georgia Department of Human Resources
- Paul Battles, GA Representative
- Vernon Keenan, Georgia Bureau of Investigations
- Dr. Sharon Hill, Division of Family and Children Services
- Dr. Frank Berry, Department of Behavioral Health & Developmental Disabilities
- District Attorney J. David Miller, Southern Judicial Circuit
- Ashley Willcott, Office of the Child Advocate
- Dr. Kris Sperry, GBI Medical Examiner
- Gloria Butler, GA Senator
- Brenda Fitzgerald, Division of Public Health
- Beverly Losman, Safe Kids GA, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
- Judge LaTain Kell, Cobb County Superior Court
- Paula Sparks, Safepath Children's Advocacy
- Kathleen A. Bennett, Central Savannah River Area Economic Opportunity Authority Head Start Program
The Panel provides direction and oversight for the local Child Fatality Review (CFR) committees. The purpose of the CFR committees is to provide a confidential forum to determine the cause and circumstances around child deaths. The work of the CFR committees is:
- To accurately identify and uniformly report the cause and manner of every child death.
- To identify circumstances surrounding deaths that could prevent future deaths and initiate preventive efforts.
- To promote collaboration and coordination among the participating agencies.
- To propose needed changes in legislation, policies and procedures.
CRF Committee should submit their Annual Child Fatality Report to:
Georgia Bureau of Investigation
Child Fatality Review Unit
3121 Panthersville Road, Decatur, GA 30034
For further inquiries, contact: Trebor Randle, Special Agent in Charge, 404-693-4717